Thursday, December 3, 2009

I'm Not Perfect!

There's a cute kids' song by Laurie Berkner, and the lyrics go something like this:

I'm not perfect, no I'm not
I'm not perfect, but I've got what I've got!
I do my very best, do my very best,
do my very best each day.
But I'm not perfect, and I hope
you like me that way!

I have a good friend that lives in the subdivision next to mine. Our kids are all great friends, and I see her pretty much every day. But our homes could not be more different! Hers is considerably larger than mine, but even though it's large, it is ALWAYS in pristine condition! I have never seen it when everything is not spotless, except for a few toys in the playroom that are on the floor. My house, on the other hand, often looks like a tornado went through it! There's always piles of stuff on pretty much every flat surface: artwork and school papers from the boys, stuff I've made, shipping supplies, mail, magazines... well, you get the idea.

Growing up, my mom wasn't necessarily the best housekeeper; she would tell my siblings and I that she had kids so they could do the housecleaning! While I like some organization, housework is definitely not a joy of mine. Dishes and laundry get done regularly, but don't expect me to dust and vacuum often!

On the other hand, I've been lucky enough to have the time to create things that others enjoy and find useful. I've even made my friend some items! It's also nice to be able to make a little money (or trade with an Etsy friend!), doing something you love. So, would I like to have the perfect house, and give up my sewing, and the experiences I've had doing it? No way!

1 comment:

  1. I feel EXACTLY the same way! My neighbor and good friend two doors over has the perfectly pristine home (and 2 young kids, 2 cats, and 2 dogs) - I have no idea how she does it... I can't seem to keep up with my dog and husband. We had a lovely thanksgiving dinner on the coffee table in the living room because my crafting stuff is covering the dining room (and I still have 3 more craft shows this month, so I wasn't ready to pack it away!)

    Wishing you many, many more days of creating this year :)

    ReplyDelete