Monday, May 24, 2010

What is 2Sleepyheads?

Before I continue promoting myself and my shop, I should probably tell you the history of 2Sleepyheads Quilted Creations.

Almost 10 years ago, I was looking for a creative outlet. I was a full-time teacher in Spring, Texas, and also a fairly newlywed. My wonderful hubby had an outlet for his stress: computer gaming. It helped him deal with the hassles of work, in addition to his 2 hour round-trip commute in Houston. I was searching for something creative and constructive to do with my free time. Growing up, my mom sewed quite a bit; a lot of our clothes, Easter dresses, and even a couple of prom dresses. I figured, hey, how hard could sewing be? I'd had no training, other than cutting out many a dress pattern for my mom. I also needed a machine. The search was on!

I decided to get a Bernina, and found a local retailer. Thanks to my good credit, and their financing services, I walked out with what I thought was the fanciest machine I'd ever seen! While I was there, I also signed up for a Bernina basics class, as well as my first sewing class.

That first class was interesting, to say the least! We were to make bathrobes, and it took me HOURS to get it done! I think the teachers were a little worried about me. :) But, I didn't give up, and I soon bought a pattern and fabric for my first real project, a rag quilt. That too, took me quite a while to put together, but, even after all of these years, lots of use, and lots of washings, it's still in great shape! I tried other clothing and quilting patterns, and finally decided that I preferred making quilts and items better than clothing.

Fast-forward a few years: a move to and from California, and the birth of two precious redheaded boys. I found myself a stay-at-home mom, again looking for an outlet for my time and creativity. My second son was still fairly young, so I needed a good, sturdy, and cute, diaper bag. I found a pattern and made one for myself. Everyone who saw it raved about it, which gave me a nice boost of self-confidence! At an outing, a friend asked if I had ever heard of Etsy, and then explained the online marketplace to me. I thought that this would be a great showcase for my items, as well as earn a little money on the side. I had no marketing experience, but I had a product, so I decided to open shop.

A year-and-a-half later, I know run two shops, 2Sleepyheads (named after the fact that when I started, I could only sew when the boys were asleep!) and CleanAsAWhistle, where you can find items to keep your home clean and a bit more organized. It's been a great adventure, and I've definitely learned a lot! I plan to continue bringing new and fresh products to my shop, and I hope you come by, check 'em out, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment